Con Edison Program Rewards EVs for Off-Peak Charging and Data Sharing
Consolidated Edison (Con Edison), in conjunction with FleetCarma, recently introduced the “SmartCharge New York” program. The program rewards electric vehicle (EV) owners for charging during off-peak hours and providing critical data on electric-delivery system impacts.
- Con Edison plans to distribute “thousands” of FleetCarma cellular-enabled vehicle loggers that collect and transmit pertinent EV information
- Vehicle loggers are available first come, first served to any EV owner (residential or fleet) that charges in Con Edison’s service territory
- Program participants receive rewards redeemable for e-gift cards or nonprofit donations. Rewards are granted for the following:
- $50 for enrolling in the program
- $5/month when they charge in the Con Edison service territory
- $0.05/kWh for each kilowatt hour of charging during off-peak hours (i.e., midnight to 8:00 AM)
- $20/month from June to September for not charging on weekdays between the hours of 2:00 PM and 6:00 PM
- Program participants may also access vehicle data (e.g., driving efficiency, trip data, battery health, etc.) through an online portal
- Con Edison receives charging data (e.g., charging patterns, consumption per session, EV locations, etc.), which will inform infrastructure investments
- Con Edison also views the program as an opportunity to positively promote electrification and decarbonization
The impacts of EV growth in urban areas is a growing concern for electric utilities. Programs of this nature will allow electric utilities to prepare for increased EV adoption by identifying infrastructure risks, informing planning efforts, and ultimately deploying necessary system investments.
FleetCarma: SmartCharge New York Terms and Conditions
This report is part of the Clean Tech & Sustainability Minute series. To view all featured Minutes, please click here.
Additional Contributing Author: Luke Williams
Welcome to ScottMadden!
Sussex Economic Advisors is now part of ScottMadden. We invite you to learn more about our expanded firm. Please use the Contact Us form to request additional information.